August 19, 2009

Natural Geometries


After seriously geeking out last night watching Nova (all about fractals -- you should definitely check it out if you can!), my man shared these pictures from Mars with me this morning... Really gorgeous landscapes. I especially love nature photography that illustrates the intricate geometries, fractal patterns, and seems almost more like abstract art than a traditional landscape. Mars photography is often great for such things, as there are no unnatural structures (or are there...? mwhahaha) and because so much of it is satellite survey, removing the horizon from the picture and also playing with scale.

In my younger days, when I was toying with the idea of becoming a scientist, I used to spend hours on the JPL (Jet Propulsion Laboratory) website, scrolling through all the latest Mars imagery... I'd forgotten how striking it is and may have to start doing so again...

No comments:

Post a Comment